Saturday, March 28, 2009

Tryouts!

Alright, so Drill Team tryouts where all this past week. Yes, I know I've been on drill team for a year, but we still have to try out again.

Here's how tryouts go:

We tryout in front of three qualified judges.

Monday: We are put in the groups of three or four that we will tryout in. We learn the first half of our tryout dance. Learn split and pirouette combinations.

Tuesday: Learn second half of dance. Learn leap combinations.

Wed: Practice the dance and individual combonations and perform in small groups of 8 or 12.

Thursday: Run through the entire tryout process in your group of three or four in front of everyone else.

Friday: Tryouts! Get scored in front of a panel of judges. Usually go out to eat afterwards.

So, all was well this week. I was in the last group to tryout. Seriously, there were 46 girls trying out and I was number 45. HAha. I was in a group of three and the only veteran in the group. So, we go out and do our individual combinations and then get in our spots for the dance.

We get the kick section of the dance. You know, like the Rockettes do, where they kick in a line...that's what we do, so we got to that part. And we're doing run of the mill, easy straight kicks forward and I kicked my left leg up (two inches or so from my nose) and my right foot falls out from under me and I fall on my ASS in the middle of my tryouts! So, I'm in the middle of these two girls and I'm on the ground and they like still have their arms on me and I'm on the ground.

Here's how I fell in detail...and how I got up: So I fell and basically landed almost with my butt touching the floor. My right leg was bent underneath me and my left leg was still out in mid-air (like the weird jumpy Russian dance thing...ya know?) So then I totally JUMPED up from that position, killing my leg in the process, and made it up in time for the next kick. So I fell on one kick, came back up in time for the next one. All the while I'm kicking myself mentally and and yelling "WHAT HAPPENED?!" in my head...

It was UNreal. I kid you not, I wanted to smack myself. I never fall while kicking. So, then, once I got back up I finished the dance with a lot of enthusiasm and energy and hoped to god there were callbacks.

There usually are. In the event of callbacks they split the girls half and half by number and they just go do the dance one last time and the judges look at anyone that they might want to re-score to make it more fair. So, I went back in for callbacks and as soon as the kick section came all the judges whipped their heads around to stare me down. -shockhorror- But! I did the kick sequence perfectly, and I didn't fall.

So, that's my hilarious story for the day. It really was funny when I fell. But the Assistant Principal who was watching, didn't think so, she mouthed to me "Are you okay?" after I finished the dance when I fell. She's super nice and very supportive of the drill team.

So, yeah, that's all I got. Oh, Porkchop's birthday party is tomorrow. My mum got this guy she works with (who's also DJ part time) to do my sister's party, so it should be pretty entertaining. Batman's coming, I hope, so I'll have to talk about that tomorrow.

--Allison

4 comments:

SimplyShy01 said...

Sounds great, well not so much about the dance accident. But that's not bad to what I've seen, so don't sweat it.

Happy birthday Porkchop! That's great that Batman is coming and that your sister's party should be entertaining. Parties should always be entertaining.

Have a nice day :)!

Deanna <3 said...

I gave you the 'Sisterhood Award'! Check out my blog to see what to do!

~L

SimplyShy01 said...

I also gave you the 'Sisterhood Award,' but I gave it to you without knowing that you have already received one until now (I read Deanna's comment).

Have a nice day :)!

--BaTMaNn-- said...

I thought it might be kinda boring... just cuz trhe little kids and DJ's with little kids usually ='s bad, corny, old, or childish music, but, it was REALLY good... for a little kids party.. lol. i can't wait for mine! it'll be at Tony's bar!! he offered the whole thing to me!